World Bipolar Day : 30th March



 

I was first diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder (BD) in 2018. My first two years have been quite difficult (being on Lithium and Olanzapine: I was feeling tired every day, I put on about a stone, I wasn't able to write a paragraph..., me who is finishing my 10th book these days!) as I was receiving wrong medication and every day was a struggle. 

In August 2020, I had my second manic episode in Greece and my Greek psychiatrist saved my life as he put me on the right meds and since then I am treated at Saint John of God Hospital in Dublin under great care and exceptional doctors. 

But, even today, talking about BD publicly is a taboo topic. People with BD are afraid to reach out, feeling fear that they will be stigmatised.

I am comfortable though to admit publicly my BP disorder and raise awareness about this mental illness and I strongly believe that people with BP should not stigmatised.

We need the support of our family, our friends and our colleagues. All these people should be our safety net in our treatment journey. 

When we go under a hypomanic or manic episode, we can't realise it. Subsequently, we damage our beloved ones and our career. 

We need YOU! We need your support!

There is great initiative in Ireland, aware.ie , offering great support!

 In order to speak about BD and make people aware of this disease, 

world Bipolar Day is celebrated each year on March 30th.

Affecting up to 40 million people worldwide (WHO, 2022), it is estimated that 1-2% of people in Ireland experience a lifetime prevalence of bipolar disorder. It is a complex and chronic condition characterized by extreme changes in mood and energy and can have a profound impact on every aspect of a person’s day to day life.

This date is chosen as it's the birthday of Vincent van Gogh, who was battling BD. 

Please, be aware of your BD people and show them love and support. We so much need them!

IZ

Comments

Popular Posts